Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Food Love: Wild mushroom and Asparagus Tartines



I am not too sure why, but there is something about eating out of foil that makes me all giddy
Maybe its along the same lines as drinking tea from a soup bowl cupped with two hands because I feel like a caveman type deal.
Any way, My sister and I attempted this dish not too long ago and we both loved it.
My only advice is to let it cool for a few before eating it. Aside of the obvious, um its probably hot, we felt like the taste really busted out as it started to cool down a bit.
So if you love asparagus, mushrooms, and Feta cheese, well this here dish is for you then partner!

I found this recipe in this magazine, and I approve :)

Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Tartines
serves 4

Ingredients:
-4 slices whole grain bread. toasted
-4 cups thinly sliced wild mushrooms
(I ditched the wild part and just used regular mushrooms)
-1 lb. asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces (3 cups)
-2 Large shallots thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
-1 3/4 cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided
-1 large egg
-1 large egg white
-1 Tbs. minced fresh thyme
-1/2 cup crumbled chevre or goat cheese
(I used Feta cheese because I have an obsession)

1) Preheat oven to 400 degreese F. Place 4 16-inch lengths of foil on work surface. Fold foil in half from short side. Unfold. Shape corners and edges into semicircular "bowl" with 1/2 inch sides. Coat inside of foil with cooking spray.

2) Place one slice of toast in each foil packet. Combine mushrooms, asparagus and shallots in medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup of broth, and season with salt and pepper. if desired. Divide mixture among packets.

3) Wisk together remaining 1 1/2 cups broth, egg, egg white, and thyme in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper of desired. Drizzle each packet with 1/2 cup broth mixture. Fold other half of foil over ingredients, and crimp edges in overlapping folds until packets are sealed. Transfer packets to baking sheet, and bake 25-30 minutes.

4) Transfer to serving plates (or rock the foil) Open carefully, escaping air will be hot.
Sprinkle (or douse) with cheese :)

Let me know if you make this. I had fun with it. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...